Thursday, April 30, 2009

A Tree. A Rock. A Cloud.

old man
I have never truly had my heart broken. I have had it maimed a fair amount, but I have never lost my faith in love. This story made me think about what love really is. If I have never truly been hurt, then how can I understand this old man's "science"?

In truth, the beginning of this story made me slightly uneasy. Some random old man telling a young boy he loves him? Seems like its going to go somewhere inappropriate. This is the first thing I thought of:
Photobucket
For those of you who don't know, that is the old man that has a creepy infatuation with Chris who is, in fact, a paper boy.

After reading further, I realized that this essay was actually a moving piece. I thought about how one could possibly love something like a rock or a tree and at first thought I wasn't capable of something so seemingly ridiculous. I then thought about the items I possess that I really do love. I found that I am irrationally attached to many invaluable items, such as my ratty old couch and a few holey shirts. I am not sure if these attachments are due to love or simply a need for familiarity. When I look at something from childhood that I have forgotten about, I feel a flood of feelings that is quite similar to what I know to be love. I am extremely sensitive to change so I think that may definitely have something to do with why I love my current possessions. I am one of the most emotional and over dramatic people I know so it is quite possible that I can fall in love with inanimate objects.

This essay could help me change the way I look at the world. I will make a conscious effort to love whatever I come across and hopefully by the time I am as old as the man in the story, I will have figured it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment